Sunday, June 29, 2008

Uh, YUMMY.

Sundays are my day for afternoon naps, laundry, and baking. Eric usually grills, which means I have the house all to myself. I came across this recipe in a magazine, and knew it would be my pick for this weekend. I had to tweak a bit, so I'll make notes where I made changes. They are unbelievably delicious, and I don't even like sugar cookies! As I start this blog, I have a mouth full of them! OK, let's get to the sharing part....

Limeade Sugar Cookies

Makes: 30 cookies Chill: 1 hour Bake: 20-25 min
Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter, softened (*I used the butter flavor Crisco)
2 cups of sugar, divided (*I used 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 1/2 c. powdered)
zest of 2 limes, about 2 Tbsp.
1/2 cup sour cream (*I used fat free)
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 cups flour

1. Beat butter, 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, and lime zest on medium speed with an electric mixer until lightly creamed. Add sour cream and beat until blended. Stir in egg yolks an dlime juice. Add salt, baking powder, and flour. Chill dough 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place 1/2 cup powdered sugar into a small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar, and place on baking sheets. (*I lightly dusted the powder over the cookie balls)
3. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until edges begin to brown; bottoms will look light golden. Crispier cookies will need to bake a few additional minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool...

My NOTES: I don't think fresh limes would be absolutely necessary, although the fresh juice and zest give them a bit of a zip. Bet you could use refrigerated lime juice. My cookies never browned on the bottom (after 25 minutes), but they did fluff up and were nice and chewy. There was a note stating the importance of room temperature eggs- It says cold eggs can make it harder to work with doughs and batters you have to prepare. The dough was incredibly easy to roll, but I don't know if that's from the eggs or the chill. I was never sticky.

Seriously, go bake these and eat.
Love, Aimee

1 comment:

Sarah said...

uh. yeah!!
gonna have to give those a whirl.

I made the fruit cobbler recipe from the back of the pioneer baking mix box today. Yum.

wish we could sample each other's sunday chef experience!